For the uninitiated, LCD screens are typically made up from two LCD screens joined together to form a single display. Both LCD screens are usually back-lit, so that they light up from behind; this allows for a larger screen, but the cost of making both of the screens back-lit increases production costs (and potentially decreases battery life).
A laptop display or monitor can suddenly go blank, or even black out entirely. If you’re on a screen that has a built-in display inverter, the inverter may fail on an intermittent basis, leaving the screen without power. If the display is connected to an external monitor via HDMI, it may also display a blank screen.
Windows and software expert
Matthew is a freelancer and has written numerous articles on various technology-related topics. His main specialization is the Windows operating system and everything related to it. He’s passionate about… Read more
- Are you afraid that your computer screen will go black for a moment and then turn on again? Users often assume that if this happens, they will have to have the monitor repaired.
- Before imagining such a scenario, try updating your video card’s driver with a special program.
- Also check that all cables to the monitor are connected as described below.
- A clean Windows 10 boot also works wonders, so feel free to take a few quick steps in that direction.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Does your computer screen go black for a while and then come back on every few seconds or minutes? If this is the case, you are not the only one who has faced a similar problem.
A user on the Microsoft support forum described this VDU (Visual Display Unit) problem as follows:
After the latest Windows 10 update, my screen goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on. He keeps doing it no matter what I try.
Some users may feel that they need to have their monitor repaired when the above problem occurs. However, in most cases, the user can solve this problem without having to call for a device repair service.
This is how you fix a screen that keeps turning off and on.
How do I fix a monitor that goes black accidentally?
1. Update graphics card driver
If your GPU driver is outdated or not working properly, installing the latest driver for your graphics card may solve the problem.
Try scanning your computer with a driver update program that will tell you if your GPU has an outdated driver. If this is the case, you can install the latest GPU driver using the driver update utility.
Some of the most common Windows errors and crashes are due to old or incompatible drivers. Failure to update the system can lead to slowdowns, system errors and even BSoDs. To avoid these problems, you can use an automatic utility that finds, downloads and installs the correct version of the driver on your Windows computer in a few clicks. We recommend DriverFix. Here’s how:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Start the application.
- Wait until DriverFix has detected all defective drivers.
- Now the program will show all drivers that have problems, and you just need to select the one you want to fix.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the latest drivers.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer be an issue when you download and start using this powerful software today.
Denial: This program must be upgraded from the free version to perform specific actions.
2. Rollback driver for graphic card
- To open the Win + X menu, press the Windows + X key combination.
- Select the Device Manager shortcut from the Win + X menu.
- In the Device Manager window, double-click the Display Adapters category.
- Then right-click on the specified graphics card in your PC and select Properties.
- Click on the Driver tab in the figure below.
- Click the Roll Back Driver button on this tab.
- Restart Windows 10 after resetting the GPU driver.
This resolution is recommended for users who do not need to update their GPU drivers or who have recently updated their graphics card drivers.
3. Check if all cables are connected to the monitor
Disconnect the cable from the monitor to the desk to check its condition. When normal condition is reached, plug the cable all the way back in to connect the monitor to the PC.
This ensures that the monitor’s connecting cable is properly connected. If the monitor cable is not in good condition, you may need a new cable.
If possible, try connecting the same cable to another PC. If the same problem occurs on another PC, you should probably replace the cable with a better one.
4. Reset monitor settings
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
Many monitors have a factory reset option. To reset the monitor, access the On-Screen Display (OSD) menu.
Then look for the Factory Reset option in this menu. If you cannot find this option, please refer to your monitor’s user manual for more information on resetting the monitor.
5. Configure computer power settings
- Open the search program by pressing the Windows and S keys simultaneously.
- Enter the keyword Control Panel in the text field of the search function.
- You can then click on Control Panel to open this window.
- Click the View by menu and select the Category option.
- Then click Hardware and Sound in the Control Panel.
- Select Power Options to view the settings shown in the following screenshot.
- Select the High Power or Balanced setting. Whichever one, the Energy Saving Option should not be selected.
- Then click Change Plan Settings for your preferred plan.
- Select Never from the Disable display drop-down menu.
- Select Never from the Computer on Hibernate drop-down menu.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
6. Clean up Windows 10 Startup
- Open the Win + X menu as shown in the second resolution.
- Choose Run from the menu.
- Then run the following command: msconfig
- Click OK to open the MSConfig tool as shown below.
- On the General tab, select the Selective execution radio button.
- Disable the option Load startup items.
- Select the Use First Boot Configuration and Load System Services checkboxes.
- In MSConfig go to the Services tab.
- Then select the Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Click the Disable All button, which will clear the checkboxes for third-party services.
- Click Apply to save the new boot configuration settings.
- Select OK to close the window.
- Click the Restart option to restart the desktop or laptop computer.
If a restart resolves the screen issue, it is possible that third-party software is causing conflicts with your system. AMD or NVIDIA GeForce graphics programs and third-party antivirus programs may conflict with your system.
You can restore the original boot configuration by loading the boot objects and enabling all options in MSConfig.
However, in this case, you need to determine which background programs are causing the problem by disabling them. Remove all conflicting programs found.
7. Cancelling custom PC overclocking
Users who overclock their PCs with third-party software can solve the problem by disabling overclocking.
If you have overclocked the CPU or GPU, restore the PC to its default settings with overclocking software. Then uninstall the overclocking software.
Here are some of the most likely ways to solve a permanent black screen. However, if the above permissions are not sufficient, there may be a problem with your display.
You may return the monitor to the manufacturer for repair or free replacement if still under warranty.
We also have a special guide on how to solve black screen with cursor in Windows 10. Take a look and let us know which solution worked for you.
Is there a problem? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Was this page helpful?
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Start the conversation
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a black screen every few seconds?
If your screen is black and you are using a computer, try pressing the power button to turn off your computer and then turning it back on. If you are using a game console, try using the power button on your game console to turn it off and then turning it back on.
Why does my screen randomly go black?
If your screen randomly goes black, it is likely that your device is overheating. The device will automatically turn off to prevent damage to the device.
Why does my screen go blank after 10 seconds?
This is a known issue with the app. It is a bug in the app.
Feedback,laptop screen goes black but still runningscreen goes black for a second windows 10monitor keeps going black randomlymonitor goes black after a few secondsscreen goes black for a second when playing gameslaptop screen goes black for a second then comes back,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,computer screen goes black but computer still running,screen goes black for a few seconds when playing games,screen goes black for a second windows 10,monitor keeps going black randomly,monitor goes black after a few seconds,monitor randomly goes black and comes back on reddit,screen goes black for a second when playing games,laptop screen goes black but still running